Oxford March 2018

I went on a weekend trip to visit a few of my friends at Oxford University. This was my first time visiting Oxford, so I was excited to see a new place and especially a place with so much history. My journey started off poorly with my train being cancelled due to the bloody 'Beast from the East', however I managed to get on another train. I arrived in Oxford to basically a blizzard and had to trek through the snow with my suitcase. However, I made it in one (cold) piece.


That evening I went to a formal at my friend's college. A formal is basically like a posh, fancy, sit down meal. It was an interesting experience with all its traditions and formality, such as standing up for the principal to give a speech (which I embarrassingly started choking on my wine during). The food was delicious with the exception of a questionable looking dessert.

Dress: M&S 
The next day my friend Alice took me on a tour of Oxford. We walked around the different colleges and saw the Rad Cam which has a huge library inside.


One of the colleges was really creepy, it's called All Souls. Alice said that only 8 people get accepted a year and she's never seen anyone come in and out, there weren't even any footprints in the snow. 


We then went to G&Ds which is an ice cream chain in Oxford. I love ice cream, so Alice said she had to take me here. I got 3 flavours: sweet dreams (caramel ice cream with chocolate brownie), chocolate and Daim. The Daim one was the best one, with dreamy crunchy caramel chunks in it.


Later that evening we went to visit my friend Meredith's college. It was terrifying as it was dark and her college is where they filmed a lot of Harry Potter. A lot of the staircases and hallways were stone with no doorways and therefore they were incredibly dark and freezing. I constantly kept thinking I was gonna get jumped by a ghost.

We then went to a bop, which is a college party. My friend Alice's college was having a 00s themed bop. Therefore I wore my velour tracksuit I've had since I was younger, channeling my inner Paris Hilton.

Tracksuit: Ikea

The next day Alice took me to see the Pitt Rivers museum which was an amazing seemingly random collection of everything you could think of. There was a natural history section filled with dinosaurs, my inner child was dying. 



Then the second section contained collections from all around the world of seemingly every object in existence such as make-up, weapons, boats and more. There was also an exhibition on Indians in Uganda which I personally found very interesting as my grandma is an Indian who lived in Uganda when she was younger. 


We then went to a cafe called Turl Street Kitchen where I had a hot chocolate (one of the best powder based hot chocolates I've ever had!). Alice had a latte and a salted caramel brownie (which was to die for).


Later that evening I then went to a formal at my friend Hannah's college. Her college has the longest grace out of all the colleges, so that was an experience. She also took me to see the Percy Shelley memorial which was terrifying. It was a white marble sculpture of Percy Shelley's body washed up on the beach, behind a huge gate, in a room that looked and smelt like a swimming pool.

Dress: M&S Gown: my friend Alice's Oxford gown which I borrowed


Oxford is such a fascinating place with so much history behind it. It's definitely worth the visit as so much of that history is still obviously there with all the old beautiful buildings and streets. It almost feels like a different world, especially looking around the university as it feels like no other university I've ever seen before.

Thanks for reading,

Roma x







Comments

Popular Posts